If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think too much about your car insurance. It’s just one of those things that you have to have, and you hope you never have to use it.
But what if there were a way to save money on your car insurance – without having to sacrifice coverage?
Believe it or not, there is a way to do just that. And it doesn’t involve switching to a lesser-known carrier or taking unnecessary risks. All you need is a CAA membership.
What is CAA?
CAA is short for the Canadian Automobile Association. It’s a non-profit federation made up of nine clubs across Canada, each serving its own region. CAA has over 6 million members in total.
The CAA is best known for its roadside assistance services. If you’ve ever had to call a tow truck or change a flat tire, chances are you’ve used CAA. But the organization offers so much more than just emergency services.
How much does a CAA membership cost?
A CAA membership costs $60 per year for an individual or $120 per year for a family. For that price, you get 24/7 access to CAA’s roadside assistance services, as well as discounts on travel, entertainment, and shopping.
Is your CAA membership worth it?
In short, yes. CAA is a well-respected organization with a long history of advocating for motorists and providing them with peace of mind. And while the cost of a CAA membership may seem like an unnecessary expense, it could very well save you money in the long run – not to mention a lot of headaches.
Here’s everything you need to know about CAA, including the benefits and drawbacks of membership, as well as how to make the most of your CAA membership.
Features included with every CAA membership
- CAA Roadside Assistance: If you’re a CAA member and you get stranded on the side of the road, CAA will come to your rescue. CAA will tow your vehicle to the nearest service station or, if you’re within 100 km of home, CAA will take you and your vehicle home.
- CAA Rewards: CAA members can earn points by using their membership card when they shop at CAA partner businesses. Points can be redeemed for discounts on travel, entertainment, and more.
- CAA Discounts: CAA members can save money on shopping, dining, attractions, and more. CAA also offers discounts on car rentals, hotels, and flights.
Benefits of a CAA membership
1. Exclusive discounts on travel
With a CAA membership, you get access to exclusive discounts on hotels, rental cars, and flights. CAA also offers trip planning services and can help you with booking your hotel to renting a car.
2. Protection on any vehicle
Get CAA roadside assistance for any vehicle you’re driving – whether it’s your own car, a rental car, or even a friend’s car. CAA will come to your rescue, no matter where you are.
3. Exclusive discounts on insurance
With a CAA membership, you could save up to 20% on your car insurance. CAA offers a variety of insurance products, including auto, home, life, and travel insurance.
4. CAA Rewards points
Earn CAA Rewards points every time you use your membership card at CAA partner businesses. Points can be redeemed for discounts on travel, entertainment, and more.
5. Two-day complimentary rental car
If your vehicle is disabled in an accident, CAA will provide you with a complimentary rental car for up to two days.
Drawbacks of CAA membership
While there are many benefits to being a CAA member, there are also a few drawbacks to consider.
- CAA membership is not available in all provinces: CAA is only available in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and the Northwest Territories. If you live in another province, you’ll need to find another organization that offers similar services.
- CAA membership is not available in all cities: CAA is not available in all cities. If you live in a rural area, you may not have access to CAA’s roadside assistance services.
- CAA membership is not mandatory: Unlike some auto clubs, CAA membership is not mandatory. You can still call CAA for help if you’re not a member, but you’ll be charged a higher rate.
- CAA membership is not cheap: CAA memberships start at $69 per year. And while the cost of membership may be worth it for some people, it’s not necessarily a good value for everyone.
FAQs about CAA membership
How much does a CAA membership cost?
CAA memberships start at $69 per year.
How do I get a CAA membership?
You can sign up for CAA online or by calling 1-800-222-2222.
What are the benefits of a CAA membership?
CAA members get access to exclusive discounts on travel, roadside assistance, and insurance. CAA also offers trip planning services and can help you with everything from booking your hotel to renting a car.
What are the drawbacks of CAA membership?
The main drawbacks of CAA membership are the cost and the fact that it’s not available in all Canadian provinces.
How do I use CAA?
If you need roadside assistance, simply call CAA at 1-800-222-2222. A CAA representative will dispatch a tow truck to your location. If you’re looking for travel discounts, show your CAA membership card at participating businesses. You can also book travel services through CAA.
Nexym's editorial team handpicks all of the products and services it recommends, regardless of external influences. Affiliate links appear in some of our stories. We may receive an affiliate commission if you purchase something through one of these links, which helps us stay independent and support our great team.