With only a few ingredients, this classic comfort food is perfect for easing into springtime.
Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional Irish dish with an authentic flavor. It’s made by curing corned beef in salt, sugar, or honey for several hours until it becomes tender.
I’ve always been fond of this fall favorite because the flavors remind me of home-cooked meals my mom made when she was cooking during Thanksgiving time.
So give this recipe a try and taste it for yourself!
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, place the corned beef brisket fat side up. On top of the brisket, sprinkle the pickling spice tea often served with corned beef.
- Add the four minced garlic cloves to the slow cooker.
- With a sharp knife, pierce the meat and fill it with four garlic cloves. Add the remaining four whole cloves to the slow cooker.
- Cut the peeled onion into four pieces and place it in the crockpot.
- Mix in the bay leaves.
- Pour the beef broth and water over the brisket, adding additional water as required to cover the brisket gently by approximately 1/2 inch.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or until the vegetables soften.
- If adding carrots and potatoes, do so following the initial 3-4 hours of cooking. Cabbage is added to the mixture during the final 2 hours of cooking.
- Corned beef should be thinly sliced against the grain.
- Serve garnished with parsley alongside carrots and potatoes.
There are several tasty options:
- Serve with roasted garlic potatoes, caramelized brown sugar carrots, and cabbage.
- Shred it and use it to create Reuben Sandwiches or a Reuben Grilled Cheese.
- It’s as wonderful served over spaghetti or mashed potatoes.
- Prepare corned beef hash
You can refrigerate leftovers for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container. Additionally, you may store the beef brisket for up to 3 months in a freezer-proof container. Make sure to reheat before serving.
Saturated Fat: 5g
Vitamin C: 48.7mg
Vitamin A: 9555IU
How do you make the meat softer?
Whichever way you use, it is a good idea to puncture the brisket with a knife and insert several garlic cloves, and this will provide more flavor and tenderize the meat.
How can you tell when the corned beef is done in a slow cooker?
When the meat is “fork-tender,” it is ready, which is a positive indicator that the meat has been cooked properly, tender, and ready to serve. Additionally, I recommend checking the interior temperature using a meat thermometer, and it should read at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long does it take to prepare this meal?
- This meal cooks for around 8-10 hours on low.
- It will take around 4-6 hours in the oven, depending on the size of the brisket.
- It should take around 1.5 hours to prepare in the Instant Pot.
There are many different ingredients in traditional Irish dishes, but corned beef and cabbage are some of the most famous.
For more delicious recipes, bookmark our page and check back in daily!
Nexym's editorial team handpicks all of the products and services it recommends, regardless of external influences. Affiliate links appear in some of our stories. We may receive an affiliate commission if you purchase something through one of these links, which helps us stay independent and support our great team.