You will adore this quick, easy, and budget-friendly homemade Sloppy Joe recipe.
Brown sugar lends a touch of sweetness to classic bun-based sandwiches and rice, biscuits, or baked potatoes. Deliciously saucy, meaty, and full of flavor.
We are confident that this is the best homemade Sloppy Joe recipe ever.
Ground beef in a rich tomato sauce is a delicious lunch, or dinner option served on toasted hamburger buns.
- 1 lb 85%-90% lean ground beef
- Four hamburger buns, toasted if preferred
- One teaspoon of yellow mustard
- One finely chopped small onion
- One tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 seeded and finely diced small green bell pepper
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Three minced garlic cloves
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- Chop the onion finely. Green peppers should be seeded and diced thinly.
- Brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, water, mustard, and tomato sauce should all be mixed in a bowl.
- Over medium/high heat, heat a large skillet or dutch oven. Put olive oil and ground beef in a medium bowl. Cook the meat for around 5 minutes, breaking it up with a spatula until it is cooked through and no longer pink. Add the diced peppers and onion and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and the beef is browned.
- Sauté the minced garlic for 30 seconds, stirring regularly, until fragrant. Bring to a quick boil with the sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook uncovered for approximately 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve your Sloppy Joe sandwiches on toasted buns.
There are countless ways to appreciate a Sloppy Joe, you’re going to have to try all of them:
- Serve with toasted hamburger buns for a traditional Sloppy Joe dish
- When preparing a Grilled Cheese, incorporate the meat mixture for a robust sandwich
- Pizza – top the Sloppy Joe with homemade pizza dough and cheese for a delectable Sloppy Joe pizza dish
- Nothing beats loaded fries; top your fries with cheese and Sloppy Joe filling
- Chili dogs – stuff your hot dogs with beef sauce
- Baked potatoes – this beef sauce elevates a loaded baked potato to a new level
Is it possible to prepare this meal in a slow cooker?
These Sloppy Joes are excellent for crockpot cooking. Once the beef has been browned in a skillet, place it in the crockpot with the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
Which ground beef should I use?
You want to use 85 percent or 90 percent lean ground beef for this recipe.
How can I improve the flavor of my Sloppy Joe?
If you enjoy spicy cuisine, substitute jalapenos with green peppers.
What distinguishes a Sloppy Joe from a Manwich?
This Sloppy joe recipe is cooked from scratch at home. A Manwich is a store-bought pre-made sauce that is used to make Sloppy Joes.
Allow the beef sauce to cool to room temperature before covering and storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze it – once cooled, transfer the mixture to freezer-friendly containers or freezer bags and store for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before use.
As a general rule, it is ideal for reheating a recipe in the same manner you cooked it. Heat the meat sauce in a skillet or saucepan until hot on the stovetop. You may microwave, but you should use a microwave shield to catch any spatter.
Saturated Fat: 3g
Vitamin C: 23mg
Vitamin A: 521IU
There are many different ways to make Sloppy Joes, and this article provides you with the best recipe. It also offers preparation tips and tricks to make these easy-to-prepare sandwiches even more delicious than they already are.
Nexym's editorial team handpicks all of the products and services it recommends, regardless of external influences. Affiliate links appear in some of our stories. We may receive an affiliate commission if you purchase something through one of these links, which helps us stay independent and support our great team.